Vitamin D supplement is recommended especially for vegans
Everyone needs vitamin D but a sufficient intake is particularly important for children, teenagers, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and elderly people. All children under the age of two are recommended to consume a vitamin D supplement. It is also recommended for children older than that if they don’t use dairy or fats that contain vitamin D.
The most important form of vitamin D is vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) which is formed on the skin to a great extent during the summer due to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. When it comes to foods, only fish contains naturally significant amounts of vitamin D3.
Vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) occurs in foods of plant origin but only very limited amounts. Therefore people who follow vegetarian or vegan diets should use vitamin D supplements especially during the dark winter months.
Recommendations for the daily intake of vitamin D
The official recommendations for the intake of vitamin D per day are:
- adults and children 10 µg/day
- people over the age of 75 20 µg/day
However, these amounts are generally considered insufficient and the actual need considerably greater. Vitamin D supplement is recommended for everyone to be included in the daily diet.
The approved health claims of vitamin D
- Vitamin D contributes to the absorption and utilization of calcium and phosphorus
- Vitamin D contributes to the normal calcium level in blood
- Vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal bones
- Vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function
- Vitamin D contributes to thee maintenance of normal teeth
- Vitamin D contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Vitamin D participates in the process of cell division
You can find vitamin D supplements for the whole family in our selection, from 10 µg for children to 100 µg for adults. Choose the ones suitable for your needs and order today!