From mushroom growing hobby to a mushroom biotechnology company
KÄÄPÄ was founded in 2016 in Finland by Eric Puro, Lorin von Longo-Liebenstein, Henri Lokki and Otso Mursula who began to grow mushrooms together. What had started a couple of years before as a hobby of Eric soon developed into a company based on mushroom biotechnology, KÄÄPÄ Biotech.
Today KÄÄPÄ Biotech operates an outdoor mushroom farm in Karjalohja, located in the southeast of Finland, where over 40 different functional mushrooms are cultivated and researched. The mushrooms are processed into different products sold under different brands, such as KÄÄPÄ Mushrooms. KÄÄPÄ Biotech focuses on functional mushrooms, i.e. mushrooms which have a medicinal purpose or which are a part of a certain process in different industries. The mushroom farm also functions as an outdoor R&D laboratory which focuses on innovating novel industry solutions with fungi.
KÄÄPÄ Mushrooms also operates subdivisions such as KÄÄPÄ Forest focusing on the forest cultivation of chaga and which promotes the versatile use of forests. KÄÄPÄ Forest is the largest cultivator of chaga with a cultivation network the size of 200 hectares. With the cultivation of chaga KÄÄPÄ Forest also offers a new source of income for the forest owners and also an option for the clearcutting of forests.
Medicinal mushrooms cultivated by KÄÄPÄ Mushrooms
Various food supplements are made from functional mushrooms which have gained more and more popularity over the last years. The KÄÄPÄ Mushrooms product line includes five different extracts made of chaga, lion’s mane, shiitake, reishi and maitake. Read below which extract and mushroom would be the most suitable for your needs:
- Chaga: Chaga is the strongest mushroom cultivated in the Nordics. Chaga contains plenty of antioxidants and it is known for its ability to regulate gut microbiota. Use chaga for gaining balance, flow and endurance.
- Lion’s Mane: Lion’s Mane supports the functioning of the brain which makes it a good support for work and learning or when extra focus is required. Lion's Mane contains compounds (hericenones and erinacines) which studies have shown to benefit brain health.
- Shiitake: Shiitake is known for its properties that help to boost immunity and reduce inflammation. Use shiitake extract during flu seasons.
- Reishi: Reishi is known for its calming effects which is due to the triterpenes that it contains. Reishi has been used to treat restlessness, insomnia and stress.
- Maitake: Maitake contains high levels of polysaccharide compounds as well as glutathione, a major intracellular antioxidant in our liver. Maitake is used to increase resistance and immunity.
Take the KÄÄPÄ Mushrooms functional mushroom extracts as a part of your daily diet!