Bone broth - the mother of all broths - has been known for its nutritious and healing effects for thousands of years. The earliest usage of bone broth can be traced to the stone age.
In the stone age, food was scarcely available and successful hunting trips were not common. When the prey was eventually caught, it was utilized to the last bone. Bone marrow was the most valuable ingredient available from prey specifically due to its nutritional richness. Bones were first roasted with hot stones and later with dishes. The use of cauldrons revolutionized the utilization of bones, because vegetables, spices and herbs could also be added to the mixture. The first version of bone broth had been developed.
The first signs of the medical usage of bone broth are from China 2500 years ago. Bone broth was used to improve the immune system, as the building block of blood cells and particularly to improve the condition of the gut and the kidneys. The doctors practicing the traditional chinese medicine emphasized the significance of bone marrow in the healing qualities of the broth.
Since those days, bone broth has become an essential part of various food cultures around the world.
The health impacts of bone broth
Traditionally bone broth is simmered for several days so that as much valuable nutrients as possible are dissolved from the bone. Nowadays with more advanced stoves, simmering for only 24 hours is enough to reach the same result. Slow simmering softens the bone, releases the collagen and dissolves the nutritious bone marrow to the broth. Other active ingredients of the bone broth include gelatine, amino acids as well as various minerals.
- Chondroitin sulfate
- Hyaluronic acid
- Amino acids: proline, glycine, arginine
- Minerals: calcium, phosphorus, magnesium ja potassium
In modern-day research, bone broth has been discovered to help to improve the immune system, joint problems and digestion and helps with allergies, asthma and osteoarthritis. Bone broth is not just a warming drink, it is also a nutritious and healing aid for many problems. Regular usage of bone broth brings the best benefits.
- The wellbeing of stomach and gut: Bone broth contains gelatine and collagen which strengthen the gut. Healthy gut takes in the nutrients in the food and it also decreases sensitivities, allergies and permeability. Our gut flora also thrive in a healthy platform.
- Stronger immune system: Healthy gut has a holistic impact on the body, including the immune system. For example, leaky gut increases inflammation when the damaged intestines let harmful particles into the body. Collagen, gelatine and amino acids support the healing of the gut, thus improving the immune system.
- Healthy skin, hair and nails: Gelatine and collagen keep skin, hair and nails healthy. Collagen is a protein in connective tissue. The ability of the body to produce collagen declines with age.
- Balm to joints: Gelatin is also the building block of the joints. It helps to keep our joints flexible and healthy. Bone broth is also a good, natural source of chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine and collagen.
- Purifying the body: We are exposed to many impurities in the environment. Bone broth enhances the ability of liver to remove harmful extracts from the body and helps to decrease inflammation. The potassium and glycine contained in bone broth support the purifying of cells and liver.
Bone broth from Finnish reindeer is versatile and easy to use
Bone broth is as good as its ingredients. As the main ingredient in the broth, the bone needs to be of the highest quality. The most optimal choice for this purpose is the bone of a wild animal, or in other words game or reindeer.
Reindeer is a half-wild animal which lives in nature in harsh conditions. It has adapted to survive in extreme conditions that range from the summer heat to the freezing cold winter. Reindeer survives in bare tundras throughout the year by eating various scrubby plants. These edible plants have had to fight for their existence on a challenging, scarce ground. This makes the robust plants highly nutritious food.
It is possible to prepare bone broth yourself but it requires enough time and storage space in addition to high-quality ingredients. Biomed Reindeer Bone Broth Powder is a ready-made powder made from freeze-dried reindeer bone broth in the Finnish Lapland.
Bone broth powder is very easy and versatile to use, as it fits almost to any food or drink. In Finland, bone broth has been used as the basis for various soups, casseroles and drinks. The most common and the most delicious ways to use it include:
- Risotto and other side dishes
- Fresh smoothies and green juices
- Warming drink as such - just add other spices of your choice that will enhance the effects of the broth
1 teaspoon per day mixed in food or drink is enough to boost the nutrient content of your meal.