Autumn + carrots + darkening evenings = carrot cake. Carrot cake has always been one of my favorites. As a juicy and heavy treat, it probably isn’t everyone’s favorite, but there’s always a carrot-shaped place for it in my heart.
Treat for autumn evenings
When it comes to taste and composition, the gluten-free carrot cake doesn’t differ from its better known sister which is baked with wheat flour, so I encourage you to try this perfect treat for autumn evenings!
Psst. This is no low-calorie recipe but a gluten-free version of the normal carrot cake. 😉
- 6 eggs (room tempered)
- 5 dl whole cane sugar / whole coconut sugar
- 5,5 dl gluten-free flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. vanilla powder
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- 9 dl graded carrot (about 0,5 kg) (organic)
- 300 g organic butter
- 150 g organic butter (room tempered)
- 350 g cream cheese (organic)
- 6 dl icing sugar
- 1 orange
- crushed almonds / walnut
- Preheat the oven to 200 ℃ and grate the carrots.
- Mix the dry ingredients and melt the butter in a separate dish.
- Whisk the eggs and the sugar until the foam is fluffy.
- Mix the flour mixture, grated carrots and melted butter in turns to the foam.
- Mix with a ladle until the dough is smooth but avoid mixing anymore than necessary.
- Place a baking paper on a baking tray and spread the mixture evenly on the tray. Bake the crust in 200 ℃ for about 20 minutes. When the crust is done, take it out from the oven and let it cool completely.
When the crust has cooled down, continue with the icing:
- Mix the soft butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer and add the icing sugar and the grated orange peel.
- Mix until even and spread the icing on the crust.
- Decorate how you prefer, for example with crushed almonds.
The taste of this cake gets even better when you let it sit in the fridge for a few days. The cake can also be frozen to be enjoyed later.
With this recipe, you will get a full baking tray of cake. The cake is quite heavy so it should be enough even for a bit bigger crowd - a smaller piece of this is enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. Yummy!